Friday, February 18, 2011

Tudor housing

Another challenge from B... this time it's Tudor cottages.  Seeing as how a) I'm a noob, and b) I never draw actual backgrounds and such, I kind of freaked out a bit.  After getting some refs from Google and the Fable 2 artbook (B suggested looking at that for some more inspiration, because some of the images I found on Google were crazy complex), I got down to srs biz.

First off, the final:


It clearly still needs a lot of work, but I'm pretty chuffed all the same - it's my first house I've ever drawn... ever, really (well, since I got out of high school, anyway).  I fudged the perspective, which is another weakness of mine, but it helped to draw a giant cube that the house would "fit" into - that gave me a bit more guidance than vanishing points that ran straight off the page.

Here's the notes/rough sketches I did when I was looking up images:


See what I mean about crazy? What's up bay windows and whatnot? Q__Q

And my rejected first pass:

The reason I rejected it is because I messed up with placement on the page, and the roof pretty much vanished into the coils of my sketchbook. Woot.  Also, the perspective is a lot more wonky.  Awesome.

Well, back to work for now >_>'

No comments:

Post a Comment